Landlords looking to purchase a Buy to Let property must ensure their property’s EPC rating meets the Minimum Energy Performance Standards.
As a landlord, it is your responsibility to ensure that your property has a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). Since 2008, an EPC has been a legal requirement whenever a property is built, sold, or rented.
In 2018, the UK Government introduced amendments to the EPC requirements known as the Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS). These changes made it unlawful to let residential or commercial properties with an F or G rating. Though this is soon to change with changes to MEPS legislation coming into force in 2027 and 2030:
- 1 April 2027: all non-domestic rented buildings must have improved the building to EPC ≥ C, or registered a valid exemption.
- 1 April 2030: all non-domestic rented buildings must have improved the building to EPC ≥ B, or registered a valid exemption.
As a landlord if you are looking to purchase a property with a buy to let mortgage, you would need to ensure the property complies with MEPS legislation otherwise you may not be able to obtain a buy to let mortgage on the property or you may not be able to let the property if it had an F or G EPC rating.
How can we help?
At Compliance365, we can conduct an EPC on your property to determine whether it meets the Minimum Energy Performance Standards. If your property does not meet the standards, we can:
- Provide advice on the legislation and the implications for both the Landlord and the occupier.
- Produce an EPC Review on an EPC carried out by ourselves. This report proposes cost-effective upgrades that could be made to the property, detailing the improved energy rating, cost, kWh and CO2 savings (Scenario Analysis).
- Provide budgetary costs for the upgrades we propose, helping companies to determine their next step towards compliance.
- Support you through the installation, awarding a new compliant certificate upon project completion or assist with listing an exemption to the PRS register for those properties unable to attain the minimum rating.
To find out more, contact our friendly team today on 01924 669940 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.